Successes, cropping etc:
At last I have a fruit on an Aubergine! (just one on one plant, but it's a start) . Despite a previous post, some of the brassicas are doing OK. There are quite a few decent sprout plants and some of the (few) broccoli plants are looking better than they did. I wonder if the wood pigeons have other things to eat at the moment. Some plants are, however, pretty badly chewed and may not produce much. There are a worringly large number of (I think) Cabbage White butterflies around so I need to keep an eye out for caterpillars.
We have all the Tomatoes we need - and more. Peppers and Chillies are still doing well. I'm going to look at recipes for relishes and sauces.
We've got a bit of a hiatus on the cucumber front. There were loads of fruit waiting for us when we got back last week but there are few new ones appearing. They seem to come in fits and starts anyway but it looks like they have all had fits at the same time. Some shoots are dying off but it looks like others are appearing. Still, we have loads in the fridge and have given many away.
Runner beans are in full swing and french beans are plentiful too. The washing line and bird feeder support system is working well.
One of the yellow courgette plants is growing very well, the other hasn't quite got going yet. The climbing courgettes are doing OK considering they are not in the best position.
The carrots sown 2-3 weeks ago have all come up nicely, including the ones in pots.
I planted out more mixed lettuce seedlings. We have rather few lettuces at the moment as I haven't quite got the succession right. I have tied up next year's raspberry canes and removed the more spindly ones. I've pulled up a few canes growing away from the wall and I've put them in pots to see if they'll grow. If so, I may plant them out in the more bare patches later on.
I've tidied up all the tomatoes removing any diseased or superfluous leaves. I'm trying the method of making liquid feed by steeping tomato leaves for around 10 days. The liquid really stinks but should be good for the plants.
The original apple tree (Red Falstaff) has cropped very well, even though I thinned the fruits down quite a bit. I have tied up the lower branches as they are drooping a lot. The new apple tree still has its one fruit and looks OK.
No comments:
Post a Comment